Release Notes June 2021 (21.6)
The release notes mention the more notable closed tickets and pull requests. See the 21.6 milestone for all closed tickets and pull requests.
Highlights / Major new Features
This release contains many improvements to existing features, such as the RmlUi integration. Additionally, with this release EZ finally has a proper skeletal animation system. This is just the first version and will be expanded upon in the future.
- #402: Added a splashscreen with our new logo.
- #404: The asset browser can now show in which other assets an asset is referenced.
- #401: Generalized sky light options across asset documents.
- #303: Improved mesh material assignment workflow.
- #304: Reduced screen space required by asset type filter list.
- #378: Resources can now be created asynchroneously.
- #373, #315: Added support for blackboards.
- #372: Added image data resource + asset
- #370: Added a 'random seed' value to every game object.
- Added support for tracking which input device is in use (controller vs. mouse/keyboard).
- #356: Added infrastructure to self-document available command line options.
- #345: Added support for custom variant types.
- #338: Allow using an 'ezSdkRoot.txt' redirection file to point to the SDK dir.
- #316: Added new small array container class.
- #407: Added option to modulate fog with sky color.
- #401: Metallic materials can now reflect the skybox.
- #374: Added a basic heightmap terrain component.
- #358: Refactored RendererFoundation to make a Vulkan port easier.
- #350: SPIR-V shader compiler support.
- #348: Early draft of vulkan implementation.
- #330: Added option to decompose collision mesh into convex pieces.
- #301: Static collision meshes can now use surfaces from the render mesh.
VR / AR / XR
Third Party Integrations
- #398: Update ZStd to latest, includes the 1.5.0 release which brings speed improvements.
- #396: Updated ads (Advanced Docking System) to version 3.7.1.
- #394: Updated to RmlUi 4.0.
- #371: Significant improvements to the Kraut integration.
- #362: Added RmlUI blackboard binding.
- #320: Updated assimp to latest (5.0.1+).
- #403: Added demo scene for animations.
- Added a sample scene for terrain and vegetation to the Testing Chambers project.